I was able to locate a set of 3mm and 1.5mm paper hole punches. 2mm would have been a better size for the Byzantine shields and with the 1.5mm punch being too small I used the 3mm punch. I had hoped to use Paintshop Pro to reduce the late Roman shield patterns from the Notitia Dignitatum, but they were too detailed and did not print correctly. I ended up just printing red on cardstock and punching out the shields that I glued to the figures.
The Sassanids are on the left and the Byzantines are on the right. There are 180 armored horse archers in the back, 180 lance and bow cavalry and 18 command figures. The Byzantines have 144 lance and bow cavalry on unarmored horses in the back, 144 armored horse archers in the middle, 72 lance and bow cavalry on partly armored horses in the front, and 8 command figures. I have other command figures for the Byzantines also, but those are from a while back. The 72 figures on the partly armored horses were in a previous post. I will be adding flock to the unfinished bases later today.
I was painting these figures throughout the month while taking breaks to paint the Achaemenids and NKE's.
The Achaemenid cavalry that I finished earlier this month are here
and the New Kingdom Egyptian army is here
The total figures painted for this month are 923 mounted, 677 foot and chariot crewmen, 30 chariots, and 60 chariot horses.